Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Car Bug

It's been awhile. Haven't even wanted to look for a new car for quite some time... two years I think. Well, that's a long time for me. ;-) But when I had trouble getting my '76 Electra smogged, I started thinking maybe I should look for a driver that doesn't need to get the state up its tailpipe every two years. Came across a Craig'sList ad for a '55 Ponitac, plain-jane 2 door sedan and I started thinking.

I've found a couple nicer ones I like, and I've gotten approved for financing, so if I want to do it, I can. I just wonder if I really want to...

I like the idea of the plain model, that is relatively inexpensive, but I do like the much nicer ones too. The much nicer ones do not lend themselves to any modifications whereas a plain one could go Cuban.

I joined the '50s Pontiac group on Yahoo and bought a power steering column, complete with pump, pulleys and hoses in case I need to convert the far more common manual steering model. I also got a tip from a new Pontiac friend that the starter on manual steering models is longer and will short out unless you change it for a power steering one. Apparently, you can use a '56-60 starter (any U.S. Pontiac model). This actually a better starter because it uses the modern solenoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment