Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ignition Re-think

I gave the whole electronic ignition thing a new line of thinking this week. I decided I don't like the Pertronix Ignitor arrangement at all. I mean the original Ignitor, or Ignitor I. Maybe I just feel a certain amount of distrust due to being stranded when the ignition went dead awhile back. (Even though I blame myself for it.) But I know the newer Ignitor II and III are far superior in performance and fuel savings... not that this car is a daily driver or anything. I am now going with a replacement distributor. I compared prices of going with a later model factory distributor and adding a module vs buying a complete billet distrib from Pertronix and found it was about the same money and the billet is more flexible. So I'm going to get one of those. I also am going with the hottest coil they offer, the Flame Thrower HC with 60K volt output. Going to need 8mm wires to go with that, so I'll do a clean sweep, re-gapping the plugs along the way. The main delay is in getting the distributor, as it is apparently not as popular as the Chevy model. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment