Sunday, September 19, 2010

More Education

Trying to figure out what to do, I found that there is a positive type seal for my engine but it will not work without pulling the heads and machining down the guide. I'd prefer not to! But, using that seal part number on a Google search lead me to a great article on valve seals: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/ch202.htm.

I can't use the same parts he references since my guides measured .632 with the mic so roughly 5/8" and my valve stems measured .337 so roughly 5/16"? I only measured once so might be a bit off.

Graeme Bridge, a Pontiac 1950's friend, suggested that Comp Cams sells a cutter to machine down the valve guide and that was what he had done to his 55 heads. He says he looked every where for umbrella seals and they were all the wrong size so this was his solution. The tool fits a standard electric drill and is apparently fairly easy to use. I can't do that this time since I am not pulling the heads, but maybe next time. He sent me the picture below to illustrate.


More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment