Saturday, September 18, 2010

Valve Stem Seal Education

I bought the seals for the valves awhile back and threw them in the trunk for doing sometime later. Today I pulled the valve covers off and started in. I did three valves before my misgivings got me to stop. I began with the front on the passenger side. The first valve had *nothing* on it to keep oil out of the guide. Turns out this is an exhaust valve. The second valve, an intake, had a steel bell (shield) that made getting the spring compressor to stay on quite a booger. (Not to mention that I deformed it with the same tool.)

The section in the manual (page 6-11) on replacing the seals is really stinky. It has no pictures and doesn't say much about these shields or which valves are which, etc. But in the section on cylinder head and valve overhaul I found a heading for assembling valves into the heads (page 6-28) which has a bit more detail. It specifically says the shields are for the intake valve stems. Thanks to some quick advice from the Pontiac 1950's Yahoo Group, I got educated.

Valve order from one end of the head to the other is E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E, where E is exhaust and I is intake. Each intake should have the o-ring seal and the shield umbrella that goes under the retainer. So put the seal on the stem in it's notch - there are two and the upper one is for the keepers while the lower one is for the seal - then the shield/umbrella on top of the seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment