Sunday, October 10, 2010

Valve Seal Progress

At last all 16 valves have new umbrella seals installed. It took about 6 hours but I had the valve covers off and everything ready to go from a few weeks ago. All of the intake valves with their factory shields were real buggers to get the springs off of because the shield interfered with the hooks on the spring compressor. I think one shield survived undamaged, but since I am not re-using them, it doesn't really matter. I was hoping to be able to save them and maybe offer them to someone who might want to use them. The only way to have gotten them off undamaged would have been to remove the heads and use a conventional valve spring compressor. Oh well!

The plan is to put the plugs back in their holes, reconnect the plug wires and start the engine to reset all the rockers. I tried to tighten them down to "best guess" but with the engine running I can adjust the lash down properly. If I remember rightly, you tighten down til the engine stumbles a bit due to the valve not closing all the way, then back it off. Better check the manual and see if there are any tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment