Saturday, March 12, 2011

New Wheel

Today was a nice day and a trip to the local wrecking yard seemed like a fine thing to do. I needed one more wheel since one of the four '70's Buick wheels had gotten damaged. I had to hit the ATM to get some cash first, then paid my $2 to gain entry to the yard. I had my big bucket with tools in it along so I could remove the wheel and maybe some other small parts if I found something interesting. Within a few minutes I found a '76 Cadillac which had all four wheels removed and laying nearby. I looked at the two fronts, deciding I'd like to get those two so I had one wheel as a spare. Both tires were flat and shot. I walked to the front of the yard to see if I could find a cart or wheelbarrow, but someone was walking off with the last one just then. So I walked back and grabbed one wheel and tire, and manhandled it with my tool bucket to the checkout windows. It seemed several other folks had wheels/tires in line too. It took forever to get through the line, and when I got to the window, I found out why... If you want a wheel AND a tire, you have to pay for both even if the tire is shot, as was the case with my prize. He said something like $20... EACH! Further inquiry on how to buy just the wheel I needed proved a little frustrating, since he did a poor job of explaining, which is why everyone with wheels and tires in front of me in line had taken so long.

Turns out to be a little scam. To avoid paying $20 for a worthless tire I would have to pay $3.50 in cash, in advance at this window to get a ticket to get the tire breaker station at the yard to remove the tire for me. Then I would have to come back to the window to pay for the wheel, which I think he said was going to be around $20 also. Well, if I took the tire home, I'd just have to pay a disposal fee at the tire dealer, probably about $5, so I'm money ahead... except the $2 I paid to enter the yard makes me $0.50 behind. Then too I gotta lug this heavy buggar over to the breaker and back with my tools. Up to this point I was thinking I would buy the one and take it to my truck, then go get the second... that idea died about here. Wait in line at the breaker, then go back... with just the wheel and tools so the load is lighter now... and stand in line at the window again. Then lug it to the gate and have someone smear red ink pen on the wheel and the receipt, then lug it out to my truck. I was done for the day after that.

The good thing is, I fit the wheel to the front rotor and it fits without scraping anywhere. I compared it to one of the Buick rims and it looks identical. All I lack now is a spare and I think I'll just order a chrome smoothie and get it delivered. Phooey. I think they run about $30 and when you figure the time and hassle, I think I'd pay double that to avoid the wrecking yard experience again.

You know, yards are great. I enjoy the self service ones for small parts I can manage myself. This is the first (and last) time I tried to get large, heavy items myself and I think it is definitely worthwhile to go to a full service yard or order online for those items.

No comments:

Post a Comment