Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Left and Right Front

Work continued as I created new steering stop bolts for each side from new grade 8 stock. I mic'ed the length of the old stop bolt and cut the new one to have the same effective length while not sticking out so far on the side the disc will be on.

I took the right side apart... this time I left the shoes and everything in place and just pulled the whole plate off as an assembly. Wonder why the hell I have been taking all the parts off each time up to now? This is much simpler and faster. I just cut the hoses with a pair of dikes because a new hose would be needed/desired if these dudes were to go back on anyway. So now I had the caliper bracket in place on both sides. I had the new stop bolt and I put in one new shorter bolt on the other top position. For the two bottom holes where the steering arm attaches to the knuckle, I used the original long bolts but with new lock washers and nuts. I torqued down all the bolts and put the inner spacer on the right side with Red Locktite, as I had already done on the left.

Next I got the left rotor and test fitted it to the spindle to check clearances. No problems! So I grabbed the inner bearing and packed it with grease. I used the same Mobil 1 synthetic I usually use. Inserted the bearing in the race of the rotor and carefully tapped in the seal. The seal looks like it pushes up against the bearing and distorts a bit when it's all the way seated but I think it will be OK. Then the outer bearing. That bearing did not fit right on the spindle but I noticed the instruction sheet said, "insert outer bearing and spacer (if needed)". The kit does include a second set of smaller spacers, and I figured out what to do.

Simplest solution is to start the spacer into the outer edge of the bearing. It will be very tight. Then with the rotor on the spindle, slip the bearing in place but without the outer washer. Put the nut on and tighten it down. The sleeve will push in nicely. You can do this before or after packing the bearing.

With the sleeve spacers in place and outer bearings packed, I put the big spindle washer on and snugged down the nut. The instructions say, "If nut bottoms out before hitting washer, add a machine washer on top of factory washer, and then secure with new cotter pin and new dustcap." Well the nut tightened down before bottoming out, but that left the cotter key slot too far from the top of the castelations on the nut to do any good. So I need to go get a couple of washers and with the nasty weather, that gave me a good stopping place.

I'm still short the left right caliper (RC4167) and I just found out it may take another two weeks from Amazon. I'm thinking I'll cancel and order from Rock instead, even if it's more $$$. [The instruction sheet wrongly identifies the RC4167 as the left caliper when it is the right one.]

No comments:

Post a Comment