Friday, December 31, 2010

Old Steering Removed

All the steering linkage, column and gearbox are now removed from the car. I spent most of the day on that, trying to keep from scratching up the column in the process. Not too successful there. But at least the shift quadrant is intact.




I removed the cradle from the power ram thinking it would be easier to hoist into place without the weight of the ram. It looks like the cradle width is perfect. I had thought I might need to shim it, but there are bulges in the frame that take up what I thought was going to be a bit of slack space.

I ran a thin wire thread from tie-rod hole to tie-rod hole to give me a reference line. It looks like on the idler arm side, I can use the lower hole and re-drill the upper to to match Pontiac's bolt pattern. With those two in place, I'll see where the steering gearbox side lines up.

No comments:

Post a Comment