Saturday, February 19, 2011

No Good

Well, fooling the programmable gear indicator box with a false Park (the P is programmed into the box in a spot that is beyond the mechanical limits of the linkage, making it a position that is never used) does give a consistent Neutral indication. But it does not solve the fact that the box expects the sequence P-R-N-O-D-2-1, P-R-N-D-2-1, or P-R-N-D-1 (L). If I move the sensor past where 1 would normally be to make a false Park (so N-O-D-1-R-P), then when I go to program the Overdrive position, it just keeps flashing. Clearly it sees the value from the sensor as unacceptable. If I do a false Park at the other end (so P-N-O-D-1-R), my results stored in the box end up being (P-)N-D-D-D-R. Nothing I can do will get it to indicate the O or the 2 unless I program the positions in the traditional modern PRNOD21 pattern.

So, I have to decide if this is acceptable... which I don't think it is... or if I want to pay $$$ for a custom firmware job... or look for/make something else.

I still have in the back of my mind to make over the Chevy column mounted safety/backup switch and I have removed the internal contact in preparation to start seriously working on converting it. Now that I have the digital gear position display, I don't have to use it with the sensor and brain. I can hard-wire any custom solution I come up with to the indicator and to backup/start relays. What I need is a strip of brass I can machine to fit the inside curve of the switch case, then some brass flush-mount screws to mount on the outer curve of the case. One for each gear position... maybe a few for reverse. Then I just need to mark off the positions, drill the holes for the screws and make a terminal for the common brass strip.

No comments:

Post a Comment