Monday, February 14, 2011

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

I called Diamondback Classics today and placed my order for 4 new tires for the Chief. 215/75R15 with 2-5/8" wide white walls. I will mount them on my '76 Buick OEM steel wheels which I modified to fit and which will work with my hub caps that I want to keep. $214 * 4 + $117 to ship = $973.00. Well, I had to buy something with part of my tax return. :-)

I also talked (via email) with the folks at Dakota Digital today. It turns out to be exactly what I thought.
"While you can eliminate both Overdrive and 2nd gears through double tapping, you cannot merge Park and Neutral."
As I explained to DD, one of the brainwaves from last night was to disconnect the sensor and move it forward a bit to where a theoretical "Park" might be if my transmission had one. I could set that, then reconnect the sensor linkage and go through the rest of the positions. With the sensor connected, the sensor will never be able to hit "Park" but that doesn't matter, as I have no Park and I don't want it ever to be displayed. I DO want the safety switch to let me start only in Neutral through. And I also want the backup lights to come on at the right time. Dakota Digital thought that might just do it.
"Fooling it into a false Park position could make it work for programming."
So next chance I get (hopefully this Saturday) I will give this a try. I hope it works out as I like the setup. I need to figure out where I am going to mount the indicator too. I don't want to cut any holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment