Sunday, January 22, 2012

First New Wheel

It's Sunday and my favorite tire shop is closed, but I wanted to get at least one new wheel and tire mounted up. So I decided to try my luck at Pep Boys on Lankershim. Honestly, I think it was a very decent experience. While I've always felt that the boys at my usual shop are the only ones I'd trust with odd wheels like a '70s Eldorado, I figured these are very standard truck wheels, so there should be no problem. They were friendly, had no problem doing a mount and balance as a walk-in, and did a nice job of washing up the blue protectant... unlike my old regular shop. They charged me around $20 which is a bit higher than my usual place but not by much. And the wait seemed a bit longish, but was still reasonable since it was fairly busy. I was home in about an hour. Overall no complaints. They asked if I wanted the clip-on or stick-on weights before doing the balance, which was nice. I like the clip-on ones. I noticed there were weights on both the inner and outer wheel lip, so it would appear they did a thorough balance.

I got the wheel mounted on the car and the cover on without issue. The new Cragar lug nuts seem *much* better than the ones I had gotten earlier (at Pep Boys). Wheel cover fits nice and snug and with it in place it doesn't look like I have truck wheels on a car. Except for the fact that these wheels are black where the factory wheels were argent, I think it looks very stock.

No spacers needed! Looks like plenty of clearance. 

A bit ugly without a cover, but nice powdercoat black protection.

The cover fits perfectly.

Interesting difference in stance.
The passenger side wheel has a spacer, but
still doesn't come out as far to the fender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment