Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wheel Spacers

Awhile back I had to put spacers on the front wheels to clear the calipers after I found that they were banging on the inside edges of the wheel once I got the car's weight on them. I'm using BilletSpecialties WSG5L375. But while I've never liked the idea of spacers, I can't seem to find an alternative. If I buy a wheel with an offset that loads the bearing to one side, it has the same negative effect as the spacer. It does reduce the possibility of putting strain on the lugs and potential loosening, but Locktite would pretty much fix that too.

I'm also frustrated with wheel sales web site that have crappy fitment guides. The rotors for this car come from a 1995-99 Chevy WT1500 (same as C1500?) and when you can find either a C1500 or a WT1500 listed, they seem to insist there is nothing smaller than a 16" rim available. Not going to work with my new 15" tires. I found a used stock steel wheel on eBay... for $65 plus $30 for shipping. Not! I'm not even sure the wheel will work since the rotor is for that vehicle but the caliper is for a 1969-78 Eldorado. Not going to bother even thinking about Eldo wheels. (Even though I have a pair.)

I suppose if there were any serious interest, I could find a shop that sells wheels and ask them to come up with something that would work. But that would pretty much mean I'd have to use custom mag-type wheels. A classic Cragar would be OK with me, but I really just like the stock deluxe hubcaps.


260-3975750 Soft 8 397 Series Wheel

  • Size: 15'' x 7''



  • Bolt Circle: 5 x 5''



  • Rear Spacing: 4''



  • Offset: 0mm
    View this item



  • $51.99 
    Ships
    01/09/12

    No comments:

    Post a Comment