Monday, March 1, 2010

Arrival!!!!!

Delivered around 1 pm today. It looks every bit as good as the pictures and description from the inspection. I had my usual oh-my-god-why-did-i-buy-this moments that I always seem to have. But then I started warming up to her. She is a whole lot smaller than Helen, her stable-mate in the garage. A good thing, considering how cramped it is in there. The lack of power steering is a booger in getting the car swung wide and then straightened out at low speed to get in the garage. Other times it didn't seem bad. Of course, I can't really drive her on the street yet since there are no plates, no temp permit or anything. I also seem to not have actually gotten the title. I thought the car museum had sent it directly to Woodside, but Woodside says they don't have it. Hmmm... I'll contact the museum in the morning. Then I need to get the VIN verified and send some forms to Woodside... along with that damned title!

I will say the experience with FedEx Passport/Custom Critical was excellent! They were a little more expensive than the others, or they would have been had there not been a small discount due to the volume of business they do with the museum. They were very prompt; my contact at FedEx kept me informed as to when the driver would load the truck and I was offered the choice of paying by credit card after loading, or cash on delivery. I though at first I was being told that the car would arrive here Saturday or Sunday but figured out I had misunderstood. The driver was to call Saturday or Sunday to let me know when he could deliver the car. And he did, later in the afternoon on Sunday. He advised me of the approximate time he would be here, and when a slight change of plan pushed him back an hour from that estimate, he called in plenty of time to allow me to rearrange my schedule if I needed to. I didn't, as I was spending the entire weekend plus today cleaning out my garage to make room for the new girl! The trucks with their elevators are great, the car arrived as clean and nice as it was when it left the museum and the driver was great. I would definitely recommend FedEx to anyone shipping any car they care about. I will certainly never use that *other* nameless shipping company again.



 

I know it's a minor thing, but I had to put my stamp on the car right away, so I put the gasoline door protector on the car before tucking her in the garage for the night. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment