Monday, January 10, 2011

Flaming River Tech Support

I had posted a question on Flaming River's Facebook page over the weekend and this morning got a reply.

They say to use '68-'69 Camaro outer tie rod ends, Moog part number ES381RL. I looked up the specs on this item and the rod thread dimensions are .625-18R... that's a right handed thread. I have been dead certain that the threads on the rack are LEFT handed. I ordered the parts from Amazon but called the FR tech support guy to be sure. He swears there are no racks they make with left handed threaded tubes. OK. I am perfectly willing to be known as an idiot, and it would certainly explain why the jamb nut they provide is a common right hand thread. I am very willing to believe I completely screwed this up... I've been sick, the weather's been a mess, I'm busy jumping through hoops to get something to fit a car it wasn't designed for, as well as my normal, shoot-from-the-hip-ask-questions-later style of doing things. You're supposed to get smarter and/or wiser as you get older, but I think I do the reverse...

Still, the instructions don't mention having to buy tie rod ends or what kind are needed. In fact the kit is sold as absolutely complete, no need to buy anything except the hoses for the pump. True, the answer is just a phone call away... unless it's the weekend. And still no mention of how to adjust toe-in... do you have to pickle fork the steering arms each time? It's really not a big deal if you do, since you shouldn't have to do it often. But it would be nice to have it spelled out. (Feeling crabby this morning now.)

They did get back to me later today on Facebook about the toe-in adjustment.
"The small clamp on the boot must be removed, and then the sleeve/inner end can be turned either way. There is a ball socket assembly underneath the boot. If you have any other questions, I would recommend calling us at 1-800-648-8022 for instant tech support, and one of our technicians can answer any other questions you might have."

No comments:

Post a Comment