Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tie Rod Ends

OK this is getting frustrating. I got the new outer tie-rod ends from Eckler's today and of course, there is no way they will work. I thought perhaps the inner rod would be what was needed. So I called Cooper and he had a pair. Went and got them and... of course, same thing. the end just slides in and out of the end of the rack. What *looks* like it might fit is the inner tie rod end of the Pontiac, but of course that has the wrong end on it to connect to the steering arm. I called Jegs technical support since they are who I bought the kit from. They had no idea and they tried to reach Flaming River but no one was there as it's the weekend. The Flaming River web site is down today too. I searched every bit of packaging material from the box for something missing but no luck.I posted a message on the Flaming River Facebook page too... no answer. OK. I'm stuck til Monday I guess.

So meanwhile, I started looking at the power steering pump. It is much smaller than the orignal and I thought I was going to use the original mount but it turns out I am not. I can make a simple plate adapter that will bolt where the original went and let me use the mount Flaming River supplied. One thing, a fan belt was supposed to be included in the package and it's not here... not that I could use it anyway. I will need to dig out the crank and fan pulleys I got from eBay now.

No comments:

Post a Comment